Community Grants Program
The purpose of Boston North Cancer Association, Inc.’s (BNCA’s) Community Grants Program is to help reduce the risk of cancer for all ages and to enhance the health and well-being of cancer patients, cancer survivors, and family members of those with cancer. To this end, Boston North Cancer Association awards up to $20,000 in grants per year to support community programs and resources for cancer treatment, prevention, education and care in communities north of Boston.
The Community Grants Program funds programs and services that:
- Educate children, adults and/or seniors about the symptoms and risks of cancer.
- Provide support services to cancer patients, cancer survivors, and their family members.
- Raise awareness about cancer treatment and prevention.
- Serve residents in one or more communities served by BNCA.* (For a list of communities served, please see last page).
Priority is given to programs and services that:
- Offer free or low-cost services.
- Provide resources to under-served populations.
- Address cancer-related issues specific to gender, race/ethnicity, and/or economic status.
- Promote community participation and engagement.
- Provide measurable outcomes.
Applicant organizations must meet the following criteria:
- Non-profit organization with proof of 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. Programs with a non-profit fiscal sponsor are eligible to apply.
- Reside and serve residents in a minimum of one of the communities in Essex County, Massachusetts*.
Grants will not be awarded to support individuals, or for capital building projects, lobbying, or religious purposes.
We do not fund general operating expenses.
Community Grants Application Process
Please download the Community Grants Application PDF below. Complete the fillable application form and submit the application and ALL requested attachments. Application must be submitted online and all requested attachments must be included. Applications will not be accepted by mail, email or fax. Only one application will be accepted per organization. All applications are due by March 1 and will be reviewed at the next Boston North Cancer Association quarterly meeting of the board of directors.
Applicants selected for community grant awards will receive 80% of the funds upon award. The remaining 20% will be awarded pending the completion of the program/service and submission of an evaluation to Boston North Cancer Association. This evaluation is to include: total number of people served, total cost of program, explanation of how BNCA was recognized, and a narrative detailing the outcomes/results of the program funded. Evaluation must be submitted at the conclusion of the program via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on this process email email@example.com or call 508-641-7900.
BNCA Community Grant Recipients
The BNCA has provided grants through our Community Grants Program, including a recent $5,000 grant to Ironstone Farm Equine Encounter. Ironstone Farm offers one-day retreats for cancer survivors, using the power of horses to remind survivors of their own strength. The retreats are open to men and women who have, or had, a cancer diagnosis. Professional facilitators at each Equine Encounter use the special relationship between people and horses to help people build a renewed sense of self, increase confidence, regain trust, and learn to feel the support offered by truly wonderful horses.
The Torigian YMCA creates a welcoming community in which survivors can improve their strength and physical fitness, diminish the severity of therapy side effects, develop supportive relationships, and improve their quality of life.
The association also provided a grant to the Melanoma Education Foundation to Provide Facial Scanners in 26 North Shore High Schools.
Facial scanners are an educational tool to help people understand the damaging effects of the sun.
Through the use of ultra-violet rays, these scanners allow people to see layers of skin not visible to the naked eye. Used for middle school children through adults, this tool helps identify the areas of your face most impacted by the sun and show the benefits of sunscreen in blocking UV rays.
Further, BNCA provided Radiant Wraps at the Sophia Gordon Cancer Center at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center. Radiant Wraps are alternative designer gowns for breast cancer patients to wear during radiation treatments. A flattering and stylish alternative to the hospital gown, helping patients to feel confident, pretty and secure.
Boston North Cancer Association is also a frequent sponsor for the North Shore Cancer Walk and the Annual Walk for Hospice.